|Friday 26th July 2019||
Morning Assembly we will be planting a tree donated by ACTSmart as part of our celebration for National Tree Day.
CE NAIDOC Mass at Manuka Cathedral at 10.45am -12.15pm.
Assembly at 2.20pm in the Hall presented by 3/4S.
Parent Information Notes will be published today on the school website newsletter and notes.
|Monday 29th July 2019||
100 Days of Kindergarten Celebration.
School Surveys Open.
|Tuesday 30th July 2019||
Choir rehearsal at 8:30am in the Music Room.
Community Council Open Meeting 6.30pm.
|Wednesday 31st July 2019||
ICAS permission notes and online registration to be completed.
Choir rehearsal at lunchtime in the Music Room.
|Wednesday 7th August 2019||ACT Oztag South Canberra Gala Day Primary School.|
|Friday 9th August 2019||
Kindergarten Mass, 9.30am - 10.00am.
|Tuesday 13th August 2019||
Netball Gala Day, Years 5-6.
|Thursday 15th August 2019||
Junior Years, K-2, 6pm -7pm
Senior Years 3-6, 7.15pm - 8.30pm
The link for the Sacred Heart Primary School Calender is:
A big thank you for the last Friday of the Term 2 to Hayley, Lena, Marina and Anne for the Hamburger Day.
ICAS Assessments permission notes and online registration to be completed by 31st July 2019. Here is the ICAS Permission Notes and Payment
Sports Days for Term 3
Kindergarten - Tuesday and Friday.
Stage 1 - Wednesday and Friday.
Stage 2 - Tuesday and Thursday.
Stage 3 - Monday and Thursday.
Choir - Heart Voices
The Sacred Heart Choir will be recommencing in Week 2. Rehearsals will be held in the Music Room on Tuesday mornings at 8:30am and Wednesday lunchtimes. The choir is open for all children in Stages 2 and 3.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I work Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Mrs Shelley Salzke
Donations of Lego
Do you have any Lego to donate to the school for the Lego Club at Lunch times? The children would greatly appreciate some Lego.
We have a confirmed case of chicken pox in Stage 1. Please see the attached information sheet from ACT Health.
Changes Location Netball Gala Day
There has been a change in date and location of the Netball Gala Day. Please send the revised note back as soon as possible. If parents are able to coach, manage or umpire this would be a great help, as the day can not go ahead without your support.
Oztag Gala Day
Please ensure your child hands in their permission note before Monday 29th July. Unfortunately, any notes handed in after this date will not be accepted due to team registrations.
Tennis Opportunity Year 2-6
Please see the attached note about the opportunity for your child in Year 2 - 6 to develop their tennis skills in Term 3 on a Friday afternoon at Sacred Heart.
To register your childs expression of interest, please email Mr Matt O'Dwyer by Friday 26th July 2019.
100 Days of Kindergarten
Please see the attached note about 100 days of Kinder (Term 3, week 2).
Dear Parents and Carers,
Welcome to Term 3. Congratulations to staff and students on a successful start to the term. We wish Mrs Staines and Mr French a rest, as they take leave during Term 3. A number of existing staff members have varied their teaching roles this term. We welcome Mrs Shelley Salkze, Miss Rachel Pearson and Mrs Michelle Mangeruca to our staff. I have updated the staff list on the website. Please visit it to confirm staff changes.
At mass last weekend, I am a member of Corpus Christi Parish, Fr James welcomed us saying “You are here to be strengthened for the next week – your weekly top up!” As I listened to the familiar gospel about Mary and Martha, the message that Mary took the best part by making time to feed her soul really settled with me. What was I going to do in the next week to feed my soul or to be where I was needed the most, rather than being caught up doing the busy stuff? A great focus for the start of term. I hope you have been able to support yourself or someone important to you this week by taking real time with them.
I visited each of the rooms this week to talk to the children about what they are looking forward to during Term 3. Along with some exciting learning inquiries, including poetry and energy, there are a number of special events we are all looking forward to. We ask families to add these dates to your calendar, keep an eye out for details closer to the date, and to join in the fun and celebrations during the term.
Many of these events have ways for families to contribute to or help to run. See our newsletters, notes and push notices via the website, szapp notices and email for all the details. All dates can be found on the school calendar. I’ve asked teachers to read the newsletter to students each Friday, so the students celebrate all that is happening too.
- Sport gala days - Yrs 3-6
- Kinder 100 days celebration
- School Survey to complete – a link will be emailed shortly
- Community Council Open Meeting 6.30pm Tuesday 30th July
- Working Bee – coming soon!
- Tournament of the Minds - Team from Yr 5-6. We represented ACT in Darwin last year. Can we win our way to Hobart this year?
- Book Week Display Week 5 - Westfield Woden, Centre Court, Monday 19th August - Sunday 25th of August.
- Book Week Character Parade Friday 23rd August.
- Be You Open Meeting – Wed 21st More details next week
- Science, literacy and numeracy weeks activities – classroom activities
- Disco – Thursday 15th August
- Father’s Day breakfast, Mass, Learning Journeys and Activity – Fri 30th August
- Camp Birrigai - Yrs 3-4
- FETE – Saturday 21st September 11am-3pm. See the Fete List Countdown to do list and the weekly newsletters. It takes a village to run a fete!
- Swimming Program Yrs K-2 – Week 10
It is going to be a fabulous, but busy term. Use the SZapp app, email and website to stay fully informed. Please remember that most of our communications can be translated using Google Translate to support numerous languages. The Be You Action Team have added a new section to the For Parents Tab on the website called ‘What to do if….?’ This contains a number of flowcharts for addressing needs parents may have. Please let us know how helpful this is.
I look forward to supporting you as your Acting Principal for the term.
Annual School Survey arrives Week 3
The annual school survey will be launched next week. Our school survey is run independently via the Catholic Education Office. It is an opportunity for everyone involved to have their say on the performance of Sacred Heart Primary School. You can provide feedback on all aspects of the operations of the school – from classroom to playground and community involvement.
Last year we had a relatively small sample size, with less than half our families providing feedback. It would be great to hear from everyone, to add more suggestions and diversified ideas for improvement. The results are scrutinised by the School and Community Council executives alike, to formulate an action plan for improvement.
Our students also have their say. In 2018 100% of students responded to ‘all of my teachers encourage me to do my best’. The student’s lowest result was a high 77% positive to ‘Our school takes students’ opinions seriously.’ Results from the staff surveys are managed through the school executive.
The 2018 results from parents and carers indicated across the board satisfaction in the running of the school. But we all know we can do better! For recollection, the top and bottom three results are listed below:
- 94% I am happy with my child’s access to technology in our school.
- 94% The staff at our school take an interest in my child.
- 94% I can make contact with my child’s teacher or other staff easily.
- 53% The School Board/Community Council is effective at our school (37% don’t know enough about the issue, 10% negative).
- 45% Our school has explicit, clearly communicated school-wide targets for improvement (37% don’t know enough about the issue).
- 46% Our school promotes and sets targets for improving student outcomes (35% don’t know enough about the issue).
2019 priority areas for the school executive to provide an academic and values-based learning environment:
- Staff are using learning assets - skills and dispositions, within a shared inquiry approach to foster 21st Century learning.
- Staff are formalising process to collect data in order to direct professional learning and teaching practices, to improve student outcomes.
- Growth Coaching is being used develop SMART Goals with staff.
2019 priority areas for the Community Council, based on 2018 results and AGM parent agreement:
- Retention of (male) students in Stage 3 – develop action plan with parent community to promote ‘what makes SHPS great.
- 50th anniversary planning for 2020, noting primary promotion and support for 2019 Fete.
- Clearer and timely communication from school to home, including use of website, app, newsletter and Facebook to cross-promote school activities. This has extended to involve parents and carers in active learning sessions through Council meetings, for hands-on experience with curriculum and support services (BeYou).
The school survey will be sent next week to each parent/carer registered with the school via email and through SZapp.
Fete 21st September 11am-3pm
Our dedicated Fete Committee met this week to being polishing all the final details in the run up to the fete in Week 9.
The community stalls are booked. We welcome back the Petting Zoo and the Jumping Castles in the hall, just to name two favourites.
We are now calling on all members of our community – mums, dads, carers, aunts, uncles, grandparents, high school siblings (yes, you can earn volunteer hours with us), friends and parish members – to sign up to help on the school stalls and during set-up and pack up.
What does being a stall helper mean?
- Sign up for a time slot or two.
- Turn up at the stall on time.
- Wear the money apron and badge.
- Keep the money safe.
- Keep the area tidy and safe. Let the coordinator or committee know of any issues.
- Sell the stock, chat to people, have fun.
- Interact with the staff members who are collecting the money.
- Hand over to the next person.
What don’t you have to do?
- Organise for stock.
- Count money.
- Set up and pack up tents and tables. We are calling for helpers for this on a separate roster.
- Stay all day on a stall.
There are separate rosters for set up on the Friday afternoon, Saturday morning and pack up on Saturday afternoon. The wonderful people on this roster will set up the grounds and all the hardware (tents, tables, electricity) for the stalls.
The fete committee will organise the purchasing of stock as needed, in coordination with the nominated stall holder.
How do I sign up as a fete helper?
- We will be using an online platform for you to select stalls and time, and the set up rosters. Details will be sent via email and SZapp shortly.
- Sign-up sheet on the front office windows.
- Email the school with your name and time available.
The Fete is our biggest fundraiser, but more than that, is the social event of the year for parents and children. We look forward to a great day with all our community.
|Kindergarten||Stage 1||Stage 2||Stage 3|
|Quade C||Jarrett S||Olivia B||Vanessa C|
|Hamish G||Joshua L||Amy S||Keira G|
|Albert W||Keshav S||Elias M||Lana B|
|Ethan W P||Helena M||Kaitlyn P|
Congratulations to the following students celebrating their birthday in July
Joanne S A, Milana B, Matilda W, Charlotte B and Marissa M.
Mary Help of Christians Parish would like to invite you to a post confirmation BBQ! It’s a great chance to have some fun, connect with other young people from the parish and learn more about your faith (and of course there will be food).
When? Saturday 3rd August at 7pm after the 6pm Mass
Where? Parish Hall behind the Church
Cost? $5 per person
We’d love it if you could be there with us!
RSVP to Michael Seselja (Parish Youth Minister) by 1 August 2019
Phone: 0478 937 657
Kids Yoga after school - Thursdays 4:00-5:00 pm
Chifley Health and Well-being Hub
71 Maclaurin Cres, Chifley
- stretch and strengthen
- relax and refresh
- develop flexibility and creativity
- practice meditation and mindfulness
- build self-confidence and resilience
- experience calm and inner stillness
- make new friends and connections
The Yoga Garden plants seeds, helping children grow to their fullest potential with mindfulness and heartfulness.
For more information visit: www.yogagarden.com.au or call Suzanna on 0410 135 604.
Book now for Term 3.
Taekwondo Kids Classes
Sacred Heart Primary School- Hall
Fridays (inc holidays)
5 to 8 years – 6pm to 7pm
Tuesdays & Fridays
9 years plus – 7pm to 8.30pm
Special Offer for Sacred Heart Students: 4 weeks of unlimited classes (includes other branches) plus FREE uniform (you keep even if you don’t continue)
Only $19 (normally $49)
Contact Information: Hwaju Daniel Perez