|Friday 23rd August||
Book Week Character Parade 9.00am.
Assembly 2.20pm, hosted by 5/6 Navy.
Sacred Heart Choir perfoming at the assembly.
|Wednesday 28th August||
Cricket Gala Day, 3/4 Mixed at Deakin Oval.
|Thursday 29th August||
Kinder Health Screening.
|Friday 30th August||
Father's Day Breakfast, learning journey, mass and footy game.
2.15pm Year 3-6 Olympics Unleashed ACT Program in the school hall.
|Sunday 2 September||
Tournament of the Minds.
|Tuesday 3rd September||
Cricket Gala Day, 5/6 Girls team at Deakin Oval.
|Thursday 5th September||
Cricket Gala Day, 5/6 Boys team at Deakin Oval.
Future of ACT Catholic School Soccer and Netball Carnivals
Regretfully, this year is the final year for the ACT Catholic School Soccer and Netball Carnivals.
This decision was carefully considered and was made unanimously at the recent ACT Catholic Primary Principal’s Meeting.
Although these are great community days and have been going for many years, the huge workload on staff, increasing costs, complexity of indemnity and insurance and a lack of volunteers to assist has necessitated the decision to no longer host these events.
Schools are rostered on to coordinate, run and volunteer these events and are run, entirely, by the host school, irrespective of the school size. Parents volunteer on the day and staff work all weekend on these events. In the past few years, some executive staff have worked nearly fulltime in the lead-up to pull off these carnivals, along with many staff who commit their time to support the planning and preparation, all of which is impacting on the teaching and learning agenda of the host school.
ACT Principals acknowledge that there may be some parents and students disappointed by this decision, however, we have agreed that the future of hosting and leading an event such as this is untenable.
This year, Holy Rosary Watson will host the final ACT Catholic School’s Netball Carnival.
ACT Primary Principals
Year 6 Order form for Memorabilia
The school choir, Heart Voices, will be performing at Assembly this Friday 23rd August. We hope to see you there!
2019 Catholic Primary Schools Netballs Carnival Registrations Now Open!
The 2019 Catholic Primary Schools Netball Carnival is on Saturday 19th October 2019 at Tuggernanong Netball Association Courts at Calwell.
Registrations are now open, please complete and return the attached note by Friday 30th August 2019.
Book Week Competition
Sacred Heart's Book Week artwork is on display at Westfield Woden at the David Jones Court from Monday 19 August - Sunday 25 August.
Email a photo of the display to Mrs Borgia for your chance to win a Scholastic Book Club voucher. Josie.email@example.com
Friday 23 August 2019 Carpark
For your information, we have been notified that there is a funeral at the Church on Friday at 1pm. This may reduce the number of carparks available for those parents who are attending 5/6N's assembly.
Stage 2 Camp
The Stage 2 camp note will be coming home with your child today. Please complete the forms and return to your child's teacher by Monday 26th August.
Please note that the camp fee of $180.00 has been added to your school fee account. Payment can be made via BPAY, EFTPOS, Cash or Credit card. Please contact the office if you have any payment questions.
Fathers Day Breakfast
The Fathers day breakfast has been reopened in QKR and orders may be placed until 4pm this Friday 23rd August.
4 weeks until our BIG SPRING FETE
Saturday 21st September 2019 11am-3pm
What can we do this week?
- Fill and return to school your tombola pots. There are spares in the office if your children did not bring one home or you would like extra.
- Do you have a shade tent/marquee you can loan us for the day? Contact Kerry W or Katarina D.
- The kids can enter the lego and lolly jar guessing competitions. 50c a guess in the front office.
- The kids can start building their lego creation to enter the competition. $5 entry on Qkr.
- Our paper plane competition is going to be huge. Thanks to the YMCA for running this. Start practising!
- Grab your choice of time on the helper rosters. We need helpers Wednesday 18th and Friday 20th in the afternoon and FETE day Saturday 21st. We welcome parents, carers, grandparents, friends of the school and parish, and older siblings seeking volunteer hours to give an hour or a day! Visit our rosters online via this link below or see the rosters in the School Office.
- Visit our event page on Facebook to see the activities and stalls there will be at the fete https://www.facebook.com/events/2079778289000234/
What can we prepare for?
- Cake stall information is being sent home today. What will you bake?
- Identify items to donate to the White Elephant Stall. These can be dropped off to school on Friday 13th September between 8.30am and 3.30pm. Come through the office or canteen doors to meet a helper in the Maker Space. Items need to be in clean working order. We are accepting household items, great quality clothing, toys, games and sporting equipment. Unfortunately, we cannot accept large items, any electrical items, mattresses or baby furniture.
- Get gardening and pot up some beauties for the Plant Stall.
- Why not put your talents on show by donating items to the Craft Stall. These can be dropped off to the school office by Friday morning 20th.
- Raffle tickets coming home soon.
Support our fete and Support our sponsors. Here is the start of the list….
The first prize in our raffle this year is an incredible $4000 “Choose Your Own Adventure” travel voucher donated by the lovely ladies at Southlands Travel and Cruise. Yes, you read right. $4000 FOR YOU TO SPEND ON HOLIDAYS.
Tucked away near the Post Office in Mawson, these avid travellers and industry experts will help you plan an amazing trip. Whether you want to make the most of Fiji and its Kids Clubs, book yourself on a South Pacific Cruise, ski in New Zealand, visit relatives in Europe – the world will be your lobster (to the value of four grand…). https://www.southlandstravel.com.au/
- What if I spend more than $4000 on the holiday? You just pay the difference.
- What if I spend less than $4000 on the holiday? You forfeit the amount left over.
- Can I book it for any passengers? Yes. As long as you are the one making the booking, you can book the travel for anyone you want to include.
- Can I travel in school holidays? Yes. You can travel on whatever dates you desire, as long as you have booked by 21st September 2020.
- Can this be used on any travel products? Yes – you can spend your voucher on any flights, accommodation, tours, cruises and insurance sold bySouthlands Travel and Cruise. Any products that are not sold or endorsed by Southlands Travel and Cruise will need to be purchased elsewhere at your own cost.
MSP Photography not only make our kids look well dressed and well behaved; they have also sponsored the second prize in the raffle: a champagne balloon flight for two people on any day of the week valued at $760. You know those gorgeous photos of hot air balloons floating over the lake near Telstra Tower – THAT COULD BE YOU!
It has to be said that Jenny and Graham are lovely people, and they love helping kids and their families remember their school days. Huge thanks to them for sponsoring this prize and also for making our kids look great on our walls.
Sacred Heart Big Spring Fete Committee – Emily W, Katarina D, Patricia M, Sharon P, Meg S, Kerry W and so many helpers!
Upcoming Webinar from Parenting Ideas
Step back so kids step up
Children and teenagers are capable of so much more than they are often given credit for. Closing the expectation gap between what adults believe kids and young adults are capable of, and allowing them to create their own solutions to the challenges they face will greatly impact their resilience, and society as a whole. In this webinar, Dr. G will outline the practicalities of doing that, and the guiding principles that will make it possible.
When - Wednesday 18 September 2019 8:00pm AEST (once registered you can watch the webinar at a later date)
Price - This webinar is $37 per person to attend, and is free of charge to families at schools that have a Parenting Ideas membership. SHPS has a membership.
How to redeem the voucher
- Click this link: https://www.parentingideas.com.au/parent-resources/parent-webinars/webinar-step-back-so-kids-step-up
- Click ‘Add to cart’
- Click ‘View cart’
- Enter the voucher code STEP and click ‘Apply Coupon’. Your discount of $37 will be applied to the order. This voucher is valid until 18 October 2019.
- Click ‘Proceed to checkout’
- Fill in your account details. These are the details you will use to login to your account and access your parenting material
- Click ‘Place Order’
BOOK WEEK CHARACTER PARADE
Our Book Character Parade is on tomorrow Friday 23rd of August at 9.00am at morning assembly. Students are invited to dress up as their favourite book character and bring along either the book or a copy of the front cover. Alternatively, students may wish to come as a superhero in keeping with the 2019 CBCA Book Week theme "Reading Is My Secret Power".
Siblings and parents are more than welcome to dress up and join in the fun as well.
BOOK WEEK COMPETITON
Sacred Heart's Book Week artwork is on display at Westfield Woden, David Jones Court from Monday 19 August - Sunday 25 August. Email a photo of the display to Mrs Borgia for your chance to win a Scholastic Book Club voucher. Josie.firstname.lastname@example.org
On Wednesday 21st August, Mr O’Dwyer and Mrs Stumbles took 30 Students to the South Western athletics carnival, held at the Woden athletics track. All of the students competed exceptionally well and a number of students coming in top 3 in their heats of running or their field events. We believe we will have 2 students representing us in the ACT carnival held in a few weeks time. Thank you to all parents for their support on this day.
Stella R, Milana B, Josephine K.
Amelia V, Thomas K, Louise Q, Eloise M, Elliot H, Miranda C.
Mirella M, Ruben P, Georgia M, Julian M, Joseph R.
Aleria G, Lillian L, Elliot A, Jasmine C, Piper G, Hermia R, Scarlett W, Leila G.
Congratulations to the following students celebrating their birthday in August
Alvin M, Charlotte RB, Aislinn O'D, Hayden O'M, Matthew K, Emelyn C, Mikayla R, Kamal S, Keshav S, Leila G, Lily C, Natasha L, Nathon R, Shivon Y, Ansh B, Liera G, Natalia C, Parise T, Ryan G, Georgia A, Ameya R, Roland S, Lachlan S, Zoe C, Seni W, Jim C.