By Uncle Vince Ross
May the God of creation warm your heart like the campfires of old
Bring wisdom and peace as shown to the first peoples of this land
Shake off the dust from the desert plains by the refreshing rains
Followed by the glow and warmth of the sun
Let the light of God show us the right path and stand tall like the big River gums drawing life from the ever flowing waters
So Loved, by Glenny Naden
Dear Parents and Carers,
We are currently in the enrolment period for Catholic schools. The enrolment period has been extended due to coronavirus interruptions to our annual procedures.
Your eldest child is bringing home tomorrow, two copies of a pamphlet promoting Sacred Heart. We humbly ask families to share the pamphlet with neighbours and friends in our area. Enrolment materials and information is available electronically on our website and facebook pages.
Reports for students Kindergarten to Year 6 Semester 1 2020
A message from Catholic Education
In response to the changed learning circumstances in Term 1 and Term 2, Semester 1 2020 reporting processes have been modified to provide parents with specific information about their child’s achievement and progress.
Semester 1 Report
- The report covers work completed in both Term 1 and Term 2.
- Student achievement will be reported as an A-E grade for the three main core areas: Religious Education, English and Mathematics.
- In subjects where a grade is not possible because of insufficient evidence, ‘Not assessed’ will be displayed. This means that, although the learning throughout the semester has been rigorous, it is not possible to make an overall judgement about the student’s achievement in relation to the reporting Outcomes or Achievement Standards against the Grade Descriptors.
- A new section ‘Engagement with Learning’ has been developed to replace the ‘Personal and Social Capabilities’. The new statements are based on the Australian Curriculum: General capabilities, and target four key areas of learning engagement: Thinking, Communication, Responsibility, Collaboration. These statements link well with our interim reports, sent home in Term 1.
- The inclusion of the ‘Engagement with Learning’ statements means that the General Comment section of the report is no longer required; the statements give detailed information on your child’s approach to learning.
At Sacred Heart teachers are preparing reports for distribution to parents on Friday of Week 9. Students in Stage 2 and 3 will complete a reflection on their learning. This will be included in the report envelope.
This semester all classes will have Parent-Teacher Interviews, rather than the usual 3-way conferences. Interviews will be held in Week 10 (details of times and days will be forwarded later). As teachers have not had the normal opportunities to meet with parents this year, and parents have had a unique opportunity to see how their child learns, we wanted to be able to have a conversation with parents only in these unprecedented times. The student reflection on their learning will provide for student voice at this time.
Take care and God bless,
Monday 1st June
|Reconciliation Day (public holiday)|
Monday 8th June
|Queen's Birthday (public holiday)|
Wednesday 10th June
|Book Club orders due|
Friday 19th June
|Sacred Heart Feast Day|
Canteen Recess Reminder: Counter sales for the canteen are unavailable at the moment. You can order recess from Qkr-Canteen-snacks and your child's order will be delivered to their classroom.
Canteen/Clothing Pool product update:
- Spray/wind jacket (navy) $25
- Gloves (navy) $5
- Healthy snack: carrot/cucumber strips with hommus
National Sorry Day Prayer
Artwork: All one country, Chern'ee Sutton
National Sorry Day is a significant day for all Australians, especially Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities across the nation.
National Sorry Day marks the anniversary of the tabling in Federal Parliament of the Bringing Them Home Report on 26 May 1997.
On National Sorry Day we recognise the grief, suffering and loss suffered by the Stolen Generations.
When we come together to build mutual respect and understanding, we shape a better future for all Australians.
Private Piano Tuition
Those parents who are wanting their child/children to have piano lessons, can contact the teachers directly on the following contact numbers;
- Mrs Hildegarde Mendoza Phone: 0417 580 975
- Mrs Pam Cox Phone: 0418 442 203
- Mr Craig Mewett Phone: 0409 151 887 / 6278 7382
- Mr Michael Dooley Phone: 0424987337
I regularly read from several websites for ways to support well-being in our community. The current newsletter from Generation Next contains a number of topical articles, so I am passing on the link to the entire newsletter this time. https://mailchi.mp/generationnext/issue-406-may-26?e=47a9fe9625 Kerry Wode (AP)
- The End of May is Hats Off Day for ACT Primary Schools. Read why here.
- Please refer to our uniform policy for full details of the school winter uniform. A reminder that our winter uniform is navy pants or tights under the tunic for the everyday uniform and navy trackpants for sports days. Black is not part of our uniform.
Congratulations to the following students celebrating their Birthday
Angus F, Gilda R, Lachlan P.
This week's assembly will be run by our school leaders over the PA to the children in their classrooms.
Awards will be presented at this time.
Max P, Emily D, Adrian R, Jude C, Matilda W,
|William J, Isabella B, Noah F, Phoebe O, Lucas V, Aradhana A, Lachlan P, Joshua H, Ryan G, Ethan W, Ameya R, Hayden O, Anna D.|
|Blake H, Kayla G, Georgia S, Oscar B, Ansh B, Aislinn O, Destiny N, Matilda Wr, Natasha L, Pascal B, Emmy C, Matilda Wa.|
|Stage Three||Maisie M, Amelia H, Samuel T, Aengus D, Veer A, Isabelle M, Carmelia L, Samara A, Karen L.|